Our July 4th weekend was an eventful one filled with red, white, and blue bears.

We weren't sure if we were going to head up to Show Low this year, but it didn't take much convincing us when I viewed the weather.  Plus it was our last opportunity for a few months, so Thursday we were on our way.

We were expecting more rain during the drive, but we didn't get much.  We did however see the remains of the Cedar Creek fire which almost forced an evacuation of Show Low.  Scary!  And we did see three elk grazing along the side of the highway.

Friday was rainy most of day and we weren't complaining one bit.  We also checked out a local Black Horse Brewery, a first for all of us.  It was small and not really what I expected as it was literally in someone's backyard.  The beer was good and the views were too so that's what matters in my book. Here's some pics I took there.

Reece trying to escape

Saturday we did some walking in the back property and had fun having dance parties next door.  They recently had a wedding.  It was so beautiful and I was almost jealous, almost!

We also went to The House for dinner.  I found out about the restaurant last year, but never made it there until this past weekend.  It's a perfect place for kids and being outdoors.  They have blocks for Jenga, or making towers, and corn hole.

While we were there the clouds began to move in.  Once we got back to the house we walked around for a bit and cuddled in our hoodies and flannels just before the rain and hail came.

The rainbow after the storm...

Later that night the guys and I were chatting outside enjoying the weather.  Kenny decided to bust out the wine for us.  He knows I enjoy wine and insisted I needed to try it.  It was funny afterwards because his exact words were "this is the wine you drink when you just want to chill"  Well!! We were only a few sips in and heard the trash can tip over and beer bottles crash against the concrete. I had my back to the sound and whipped my head around as I simultaneous flew out of my chair. Shawn thought he heard talking and started saying hello, hello.  Then I heard someone, who I think was Dylan say it's just a raccoon.  I was standing by the door watching Shawn and Kenny check out what was going on.  Then I hear Kenny yell "Go, Go it's a bear!"  I never flew through the door so quickly in my life.  Fortunately he was right where we had the perfect view of him safely inside.  Initially a few people didn't believe us.  We all huddled around the windows watching it chow down on some left over pizza after it flipped the trash can upside down like it was nothing.   At one point it came close to the window and we were able to get a few good pictures.

These are a bit blurry but if you look closely you can see his/her teeth and the pizza.

We were entertained and in shock that we were literally 20 yards from a bear.  I did have to soothe Reece back to sleep.  I'm not sure if it was the sound of trash hitting the wall as she was on the other side of it or if it was the commotion from all of us. 

Shawn and I went for a walk to watch the sunset about an hour before the bear came.  Glad it didn't come then!

This bear did not seem afraid of humans which is a bit concerning and will have us all on alert from now on.  

Then Monday was the 4th!  The fourth of July has quickly become one of my favorite holidays, behind Christmas.  We enjoyed the parade again this year, I think the third or fourth year now.  It has began to lose its luster for me a bit, but still fun and the kids LOVE it!

Reece did not like the big trucks and their extremely loud horns.  Poor baby!

This all american baby girl fell asleep with her flag.  One of the sweetest things I've seen, EVER!

We headed back home after the parade and later found the girls having their own parade.  Seriously, so cute!

To end the night we forego-ed the crowds and sat on the steps in our front yard watching all of our neighbors fireworks and played with sparklers.

No comments:


Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger